An Interview with Lisa Wehkamp

Lisa Wehkamp, a Friends University graduate, is an interviewee for the English Club's social media campaign #PeopleOfFriends. Thank you, Mrs. Wehkamp!

Lisa Wehkamp is an English language arts teacher at Campus High School in Haysville, Kansas. After receiving her bachelor's degree from Friends University in 1997, she began teaching at Campus. She currently teaches dual credit Writing I and Writing II courses as well as IB literature courses.
http://www.usd261.com/Campus/history.htm

How did you decide to become an English teacher?

"I knew I wanted to be a teacher before I really knew what one was. I have a picture on my counter of me playing school when I was a child. Stuffed animals made good pupils. I first wanted to teach history, so when I started college, I started as a social science major. But at the time (it's less so now), I was strongly advised that it would be difficult as a female to get hired as a social science teacher. It tended to be a double-duty, male-dominated area. As a high school student, I had two dynamite female social science teachers, but it was difficult to get in as a woman. I was equally interested in literature. I can't separate the twoliterature and history. I'm not one of those critics of literature that try to view literature in a vacuum apart from the context."

When you were choosing which college to attend to prepare to be a teacher, what attracted you to Friends University?

"I came to Friday with Friends in 1993 when I was a high school senior. I loved the small university feel and the knowledge that I wouldn't just be 'a number.'"

How did Friends prepare you for your career?

"Student teaching was very good. I had a really good mentor teacher at Goddard. I like that Friends was willing to allow me to work with a wide variety of people whereas other schools may have made me work only within USD 259. The course instructors at Friends were also very good."

How do you stay connected with the Friends campus community?

"After I graduated in 1997, I took a job teaching at Campus High School. Ten years later, Mrs. Flook, my former Secondary Methods teacher, contacted me with the opportunity to work with pre-service teachers during their student teaching semesters. I've now worked with four student teachers from Friends."

What do you like the most about Friends University?

"I've always liked that Friends is a faith-based institution. It is a small university with a big presence in the Wichita area. As a Friends student, I received excellent instruction and support. Now that I work with Friends students as a mentor for students in the education department, I appreciate that the staff is always responsive and caring about their students' needs."

How do you give back to Friends University and the community?

"I'd like to think I've given back to Friends by ensuring the student teachers I supervise are ready to be full-time educators. I have actually hired two of the student teachers I supervised as members of the ELA department at Campus.

"I'd like to think that teaching is a way to give back to the community. I also volunteer weekly in guest services at my church, NewSpring, and volunteer whenever I can at events like Winter Jam and other Christian concerts in the area."

Comments

Popular Posts